Monday, September 25, 2017

Working For Yourself and Future

I've been contemplating a lot these past few days.. Tinkering some ideas -- most of all a path for my future, and my over all life.

Every now and then, I get to browse and read a lot of articles mostly about life. I've been carefully examining myself (tbh) if I have a lot of flaws by the way I interact, the way I socialize, the way I look at things and events -- in short, my perspective.

(c) Owner from LinkedIn

Today, I crashed in to a Facebook friend's post. It was shocking, for it was absolute truth. Again, for the nth time, I reflected. I questioned myself once again, if these failures and misfortunes in the last three years is to blame myself, or the world that I'm living.

The country I'm living now is in a constant mess. Tons of problems being faced each and everyday, and I want to point out poverty as the root cause of the problem. And this I realized, I am now an advocate for labor aspect equality and ethics. 

My countrymen perhaps, is now a rot to the gut. Politicians who are an absolute corrupt from head to foot, followed by lower government officials that seems to practice the same false activities, down to the lowest. 

Now, with regard to the post that I'm pertaining, I wanted to question companies and how do they hire talents. Last week, I get to experience an interview overseas which I took as a "turning point" of my life, that turned into a nightmare. I was shocked that the interviewer was a Filipino. 

Benefit of the doubt, I was optimistic that the fellow countryman had already removed that "Crab Mentality" which Filipinos are known for. I was so optimistic that, the company thrives for attitude first, then skills later. During my interview via Skype, I get to express the nicest form of conversation I had ever done in my video call life. 

That person was the chief of technology and chief human resource officer of the company based in Malaysia. I did a little background check on him to get a slight glimpse of his personality, turns out that he was out of the country for at least 10 years or so.

Again, trying to be extremely optimistic -- the success he's now enjoying should translate the way he should view candidates for a certain position. I've cleared myself of everything -- thinking that I should present myself in the nicest demeanor as possible. When I first received his call, sounds like he was already grumpy, or should I say unenthusiastic with talking to me. As a communications graduate with a broad experience of face to face negotiation(s), I could already translate his tone to what kind of mood he is in. Turns out, he was extremely unenthusiastic already. He never managed to ask me the right questions to begin with. He was emphasizing on personal growth, which obviously, I have no confusions at this point of my life. He was trying to provoke me in a manner that the only goal is to embarrass me. 

I held myself composed while he's asking subjective questions which frustrates me as our time ticks. He highlights my personal being not asking for skills and work experience. I was appalled his demeanor, which left me speechless at the end. 

He was an extreme a-hole I guess. I tried my best to be as nice for they were seeking for attitude. I never asked him anything that would hurt him for most part. I respected him, but I never received the same amount of respect that I deserve as well. He never thought that I am a fellow Filipino, which in turn asking why I wanted to get my "ass" out of the Philippines as he exactly stated. If I had the choice to answer again, I'd tell him "the same reason as yours". For sure, he had every ounce of idea why Filipinos wanted to get out of the country and work overseas.

It was a failure. I never get to advance to the next step as he already concluded my application and put a halt to my dream working there. He never even said "hello" and never said how am I doing. It was a crazy, unenthusiastic interview ever. 

It made me think that the myth is true. Filipinos worst enemy is a Filipino as well. Crab mentality at its best. If the interviewer turns out to be a different nationality, he/she might not ask subjective questions and becomes objective. They needed my skills and expertise, and I don't deserve to work for a-holes like him.

It was a sad experience. But I know when and where to get my myself back up. I'm still optimistic, enthusiastic, and it never broke my spirits. Time will come that I may bump into him in the future, looking at him eye to eye with my head held up high.

I know what leadership meant. Leadership is a collection of failures and errors made during your life. It was the first page of writing the success story. That's how I view leadership and if it means questioning decisions made by your executives, stand firm and correct them. Selfish decisions will put others work/jobs in jeopardy.


###





No comments:

Post a Comment