Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Taking A Stand Against Cyberbullying

(c) Owner


Cyberbullying is one of the most disgusting things I hate about the internet. I strongly condemn this act and being part of the digital world (both professionally and personally), I've never used the internet to smite down one's character to the point of virally shaming him/her.



In my opinion, I always believed that the use of the internet is a privilege. It was suppose to be a 'tool' utilized to broaden an individuals knowledge because of the openness it presents. The privilege of a global access wireless-ly is this day's modern way to gather significant data --  and this privilege is now being abused by a broad number of irresponsible netizens and sharing nonsensical views, articles, or any forms of information leading to either positive or negative results. 

(c) Owner

These past few days, I've already encountered tons of online defaming due to several reasons. Mostly because of our country's on-going drastic changes; the President's move(s), next move(s), past move(s) -- Yes, most of which are politically related. And it's kind of irritating to read massive comments from various users on Facebook shaming the subject(s) involve in the article posted by news websites. Even though most of which are credible and reliable news websites, moderators does not have the power to control hundreds to thousands of comments being posted every minute. I personally understand the agony of community engagement via digital because I'm an online community manager as well. It requires a keen eye to control which is supposed to be posted or not. But even moderators can't withstand the idiocy level of these so-called "netizens" and it sucks. Believe me.

I hate the open world setup of the internet; especially social media. I can't help but to point out mistakes from a number of irresponsible users from my country. Sometimes, I felt shy by being a Filipino. Why? Fact of the matter is, I hate the thing called "Filipino pride" being shouted by my irresponsible countrymen. The global phenomena of Facebook mixed by the crab mentality of the Filipinos is beyond chaotic. Most of them doesn't even know that if they shame someone online, it creates a ripple. A ripple in which other nations see. A ripple where negative connotation is built and makes us more of a low-life characters in a cartoon show. 

These acts are becoming alarming. 

AND IT HAS TO STOP.

This is an abuse of democracy. That's why I personally push for more discipline.

This post acts as proof of allegiance to various groups who strongly condemn the act of cyberbullying.

###




No comments:

Post a Comment